Can Posture Affect My Health?
Let’s talk about posture for a minute. I think it’s safe to say that many of us have developed bad posture habits over time. Unfortunately, without fixing our posture, we also risk some health problems.
So what’s posture?
Posture is how you are holding your body. Simple! So just think about your DYNAMIC posture while your are on the go! When you are running, skipping, walking, or bending over. And think about your STATIC posture when you are sitting, standing, and even sleeping.
Your spine has a NATURAL POSITION that curves, at the neck, mid-back, and low-back. Good posture means that you are holding these natural curves with your ears directly above your shoulders, the top of the shoulders should be directly over the hips, and the hips should be directly over the knees. Think of a string being pulled from the top of your head and lengthening you upwards.
How is posture affecting my health? Well, over time bad posture can:
– Misalign your musculoskeletal system causing muscle imbalances, making certain muscle groups work harder, while others weaken
– Wear away at your spine, risking an increase in injury
– Decrease your movement and flexibility
What can you do to improve your posture?
1. Be mindful of your posture throughout your day. You can quickly improve your posture simply by thinking about how you’re watching TV, standing, or sitting at your desk. Make it a habit!
2. Stay Active! Maintain your mobility and flexibility by staying active. Staying active also helps to increase core strength helping you maintain the muscles around your spine, abdomen, and pelvis balanced.
3. Look at your work environment. Are your work surfaces at a comfortable height? Simple improvements like the height of your desk or chair can drastically improve your posture.
If there’s anything I can do to help you get on your way back to an active, pain-free lifestyle you can reach me at (305) 433-1172. We’ve Got Your Back!
How Can Physical Therapy Treat Posture?
Bad posture can be treated with physical therapy. At Advanced Physical Therapy Specialists, we don’t just treat your bad posture, but we identify the root cause of your pain and provide treatment that heals the underlying cause of the problem and prevents recurrences and flareups. Treatment may include various types of physical and manual therapies and exercises, nerve mobilization, joint mobilization, myofascial release, as well as functional retraining. We also tailor a home exercise program consisting of no more than 2 – 3 exercises at a time that will address your individual muscle imbalance. We specialize in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy (OMPT) which involves hands-on techniques for restoring mobility, reducing muscle tension, and restoring your natural movement without pain.
Bad posture is not something that you have to live with for the rest of your life. If you are experiencing lower back pain and sciatica pain or neck and shoulder pain due to bad posture, call us at (305) 433-1172 and let us help. We will pinpoint and treat the root cause of your problem and help you live an active and pain free lifestyle.
#advancedpts #physicaltherapy #physicaltherapist #theartofphysicaltherapy #wevegotyourback #activelifestyle #manualtherapy #posturalrestoration #orthopedicphysicaltherapy #painrelief #backpainrelief
#community #themoreyouknow #Pinecrest #SouthMiami #CoconutGrove #CoralGables #PalmettoBay #Miami #MiamiPT #Brickell)